To abort or not to abort...

More
2 weeks 1 day ago - 2 weeks 1 day ago #16874 by SPA118
Something is wrong here!  What say the rest of you?  Abort and turn back or continue on?

Weather at arrival airport: KMSP 132153Z 32010KT 10SM SCT030 SCT050 SCT150 M20/M28 A3047 RMK AO2 SLP345 T12001278


Eric M. Eder, SPA118
Miami Hub Manager
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by SPA118.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 1 day ago - 2 weeks 1 day ago #16875 by jer029
Replied by jer029 on topic To abort or not to abort...
No need to abort.  Of course ATC would assist with your loss of instruments and vector you down to FL150 (and lower) for a visual approach, which would very likely be possible.  You have 10-mile vis which should be adequate for a visual approach.  Even without ATC assist, you can easily drop below FL150 and still be above safe minimums for the area. You should be able to tune in a nearby VOR from when you lost contact (and of course ATC would give you location information as well).  Without ATC, and with sudden loss of GPS, at 5,000 Ft, I'm curious what you're seeing out the windows.  Perhaps not much if you're climbing as rapidly as it appears.  I would be leveling off around that point and be seeking a VOR in an attempt at a VOR approach.  At least that would be my initial thoughts before I pulled the plug.

Oh...and I'd request my airline to get the A320NX mod for our A320Neo fleet. 
 

John Rogers
Webmaster
Last edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by jer029.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #16876 by jer029
Replied by jer029 on topic To abort or not to abort...
What did you do?

John Rogers
Webmaster

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #16877 by SPA118
Replied by SPA118 on topic To abort or not to abort...
Well, I continued on with the flight and didn't abort. However, roughly 130 miles from MSP both engines cut out and I could not get them restarted. I have no idea whatsoever why all of this happened. I ended up just shutting down the sim. I'll try again in just a few minutes.

Eric M. Eder, SPA118
Miami Hub Manager
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #16878 by jer029
Replied by jer029 on topic To abort or not to abort...
Wow...too bad...I'll wait to watch it on Air Disasters  .  If things got really bad like that I'd have done the same thing.  Too bad though, it would have been interesting to see how things fared if the plane maintained power and only lost the GPS data.  If it wasn't an Econ flight "for the money" it might have made an interesting emergency landing test for you.  You could always have shut down SPAACARS and then continued the flight for an emergency landing and not have it recorded as an offical flight, since you lost the flight time anyway by restarting.

John Rogers
Webmaster

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #16879 by SPA118
Replied by SPA118 on topic To abort or not to abort...
I thought about trying an emergency landing. It was proving difficult with missing instrumentation and ATC nagging me to climb back to FL380 (no way to declare an IFE).

Oh well. Started her back up and looks like everything is working so we'll give it another go.

Eric M. Eder, SPA118
Miami Hub Manager
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum